Mass Loaded Vinyl-Australian Made
Mass Loaded Vinyl,or NuWave Base, or just MLV, is an extra HEAVY DUTY, high performance, flexible soundproofing barrier from Thermotec Australia.
With an ultra thin profile of 4 mm (approximately) and high acoustic performance of Rw 30*, Mass Loaded Vinyl is an excellent product to soundproof walls, timber floors and ceiling spaces in residential homes & is particularly suitable for office partitions in commercial buildings.
Mass loaded Vinyl is also commonly used in a wide variety of other applications such as soundproofing cars, boats, pump housings, machinery rooms or other industrial applications.
MLV is dark grey or black in colour and Supplied in a roll.
Mass Loaded Vinyl Installation:
MLV is very easy to cut and install. The product contains a fabric scrim with an embossed face increasing tear resistance whilst maintaining high flexibility.
Walls / ceilings / underfloors – the product should be tacked to studs / joists using tacks with large heads or incorporating a washer to minimize tear. Gluing is also beneficial.
MLV can be glued to machinery housings, pump housings, boat or car structures to increase the mass and reduce sound transmission.
Sheets should be butted up against each other, or overlapped and taped using a a strong industrial tape.
MLV is comprised of 3 elements.
First, vinyl is employed to provide the product with a high level of flexibility for ease of use.
Second, the Vinyl is impregnated with naturally occurring Barium Sulphate, a non toxic nature and high relative density substance. It is this high relative density (mass) that gives MLV such effective soundproofing capabilities.
Finally, the vinyl and barium mixture is added to a reinforcing scrim to increase the products tensile strength
|Standard Roll Size||1350mm x 5 metre / 1350mm x 3 metre|
|Weight – nominal||NuWave 4kg/m2, NuWave 6kg/m2, NuWave 8kg/m2|
|Thickness – nominal||NuWave 4kg = 2mm, NuWave 6kg=3mm, NuWave 8kg = 4mm|
|Operating Temperature||Up to 100° C|
|Green Building Council Compliant||Yes (Low VOC & ODP-EMI4)|
|Available as Fire Tested Product||NuWave 4-Zero Foil Faced—AS/NZS1530.3|
|Barrier Material||Barium loaded limp mass PVC– Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV)|
|Country of Manufacture||Australia|
- Partitions and common walls – housing units
- Noise Barrier screens, temporary & permanent
- Carpet underlay – studios, theatres, offices
- Ceiling – offices, meeting rooms, home theatres
- Studios, theatres, media rooms & hospitals
- Heavy industrial machinery – noise isolation
- Waste/Soil pipes – noise reduction
- Plant rooms, engine rooms, heavy transport
- Acoustic Doors
- Mining barrier screens—Milling, screening, etc.
- Fan & Blower Housings
- Mass loaded vinyl barriers – 4kg, 6kg & 8kg
- Other densities available on request
- Low profile – High Performance – long life
- Industry acceptance and proven performer
- Available as 4-Zero fire rated & outdoors variants
- No ozone depleting substances (ODP-EMI 4)
- Available in composite products – NuWrap 5 & Cabmat
- Easy to cut and install as curtains, inside walls and ceilings
- Low VOC – meets Green Building Council requirements
- Maximum transmission loss across the range of frequencies
Wall & Ceiling Predictions
BCA F5.5 (a) Sound insulation rating of walls—A wall in a Class 2 or 3 building must:
(I) have an Rw + Ctr (airborne) not less than 50, if it separates sole-occupancy units; and
(II) have an Rw (airborne) not less than 50, if it separates a sole-occupancy unit from a plant room, liftshaft, stairway, public corridor, public lobby or the like, or parts of a different classification
(c) A wall in a Class 9c aged care building must have an Rw not less than 45 if it separates(I) a sole-occupancy unit;or
(II) a sole-occupancy unit from a plant room or liftshaft
Insulation Victoria online store sells a wide range of thermal and acoustic insulation products. In addition to this, we also sell Kingspan Kooltherm®, Kingspan Air-Cell®, Mass Loaded Vinyl, Nuwrap Pipe Lagging Insulation, Foilboard Greend Rigid Panels, Fibertex Rockwool, Autex GreenStuf, Knauf Earthwool, Fletchers Pink Batts and Bradford Gold Batts.
If you have any questions or require a special delivery quotation, don’t hesitate to Contact Us! You can also get a free obligation quote here. Check out other insulation supplies in Insulation Victoria.